Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of Passage? His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, he is a MAN. He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man! Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him. He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm. We, too, are never alone. Even when we don't know it, God is watching over us, sitting on the stump beside us. When trouble comes, all we have to do is reach out to Him.







Let's be more aware of all the choices, situations, twists and turns that brought us to this place right here and now. They May Be Miracles.



Thursday, February 18, 2010

REACH HIGHER

One of my most favorite all time illustrations that motivational speakers everywhere use is when they tell the audience to stand up and reach their hands to the sky as high as they possibly can.  They'll say, "...now you're sure you've reached as high as you can?"  And then they'll say, "ok, now reach an inch higher!"  And without fail the entire audience will reach their fingers AT LEAST an inch higher. 

I've always loved this idea because when I think I've done as much as I can possibly do in a day...or when I think I've done as much as I can possibly do in any given situation, I'll think to myself, "Well, what else can I do? How can I reach higher?" 

It's not often I remember a certain message from speakers because I've heard so many of them over the years...but I suppose because this is a popular activity among them that it finally resonated in me.  

If you happened to have read an earlier post of mine where I was struggling with believing in my ability to "lose weight and keep it off" - know that I  have been working on my -brain- and the way I think about things.  I'm ready to reach higher.  I have not TRIED   nearly enough since I started having children.  My mind is finally in the RIGHT place.  I care for myself and my family so much and I want to do all that I can to treat myself better, take care of my vesil here on earth, and create an energy of "we can do anything we set our minds to" around here!

That being said, I have been exercising on the elliptical walker for over 2 weeks now.  Today I went ahead and hit the mile mark.  When I really get in better shape I know I can do much more.  I'll be reaching higher and going faster each day.  Also, the only things I'm eating in between meals now are fruits or vegetables.  I am not cutting out pizza or fried foods...yet...if ever - we'll see how I feel about that later in this journey.  Each day I'm waking up with an attitude of achievement, and when I feel like I want to NOT exercise or be lazy I remind myself to REACH HIGHER!! 

4 comments:

Larry said...

I haven't been to any motivational speakers, but I really like the reach higher. It immediately got me thinking of reaching higher.
Thanks Dustine!

May-be Miracles said...

I know...isn't that cool?? Love it. Thanks Larry!

hjn said...

Love this!! God DOES have your back!!! My sister has Maggie and a Gracie!!! You talk about going to mass ...are you Catholic? I am.........Found you over at Mommy Blogs! Sending a vote your way!
Love the music!

DUSTINE said...

Hi Mama Holli...
Yes, I am Catholic...so some of the surge in getting my act together ties into Lent...40 days of practicing good habits should change a habit forever.

I visited your blog and sent a vote in for you at Mommy Blogs as well...thank you for yours. I'm still linked into yours and looking through it. That's cool that your sister has a Maggie and Gracie as well!!!