You did it, didn't you? It still amazes me that we can always go another inch. We were MADE to go another inch. God doesn't mean for us to ever think we've landed in a place or situation that isn't going to evolve...that isn't going to stretch. Can't you look back on your life and just see one situation after another where you thought it was the most confusing or stressful or dangerous or overwhelming or happiest or perfect...and then something happened. The extra inch. You perservered, or else you passed your joy forward to others...but the extra inch happened and things either got better or even more perfect.
I really think "the extra inch" is what prayer is all about. I mean, let's face it - God already knows our needs and desires. He knows the situations we're in. He's in them with us. He's everywhere all the time. He's present every moment. And yet He wants us to come to Him with our needs. He wants us to confide in Him. He wants a relationship with us. We're not meant to take for granted His presence...we're meant to live the best life that we can and in the midst of living to turn to Him and ask for help, for blessings, for grace and mercy.
- We ask Him to help us get OVER that mountain that's causing us such stress or grief;
- we ask Him to bring the right people into our lives to get us to where we're trying to go;
- we ask Him to help comfort us;
- we ask Him to continue to bless us with financial peace;
- we ask Him to create new opportunities and possibilities for us and the ability to recognize those;
- we ask Him to help us not to disappoint ourselves or others
- we ask Him for a shield of protection and for safety and good health
- Somehow we got over that mountain
- Somehow the right person showed up at the right time and the right place to get us to the "next level"...
- Somehow we receive an amazing letter, email, phone call, visit...just the right thing at just the right time from someone who cares
- Opportunities and possibilities start to surround us